Mission and Vision ♦ Initiatives ♦ Policy Cabinet ♦ Partners ♦ Regional Plan
The Move UP! Partnership for Adult Learning offers leadership and coordination to the Capital Region’s adult education and training efforts, and provides technical assistance, professional development and other resources to our Region’s adult education centers, workforce training programs and community colleges
Move UP! works to improve adult literacy in the Capital Region by:
- Advocating for legislative actions and public policies that support the delivery of high quality programs and enable individuals to receive the education and training they need to fill the jobs that are available in this region.
- Promoting public awareness about adult literacy and the positive socio-economic impacts of adult learning.
- Providing adult literacy and workforce training programs with professional development and assistance with the implementation of evidence-based practices.
- Bringing together stakeholders from workforce development programs, adult education centers and the community college system to provide an integrated system of adult learning.
Mission and Vision
Mission: Move UP! provides leadership to the development of a regional adult literacy system that includes adult education providers, workforce training programs and community colleges, resulting in a high-quality, coordinated continuum of services that offers multiple pathways to educational success and jobs that pay sustainable wages.
Vision: Move UP!’s Partners envision a regional adult literacy system that offers:
- A coordinated continuum of literacy services that can meet the education and training needs of all adult learners.
- Connections to and support from “wrap-around” services such as childcare, counseling and other social services.
- Career pathways that lead to well-paying jobs with sustainable wages.
- Coordination, communication and collaboration among all providers of adult literacy services, employers and business leaders.
- Contextualized Learning Institute – Move UP! is supporting the design and implementation of IBEST and contextualized learning programs in the Capital Region. By offering a series of workshops on program design, current best practices and individualized technical assistance, Move UP! is helping programs throughout the region use strategies and resources that lead to success.
- Awareness Campaign – Move UP! is leading a campaign to raise awareness about the issue of adult literacy. Low literacy impacts everyone; it affects our economy, healthcare and future generations. By raising awareness, we can increase the number of adults who are receiving adult literacy services and help everyone in our community understand the importance of developing a skilled workforce and an educated citizenry.
- RBA Report Card - Move UP!’s Measurements & Reporting Committee has been working to publish an adult literacy report card for the Capital Region. The report will include data from adult education providers, workforce training programs, and community colleges.
- SPIRAL – By using the United Way 2-1-1 information and referral system, adults can find and enroll in a program that best-fits their needs, the first time they call. This initiative focuses on training program staff on providing a holistic assessment process that considers the barriers, strengths and educational needs of adult learners.
The Adult Literacy Policy Cabinet brings together top leaders from the state and region that control the policies and resources that directly affect the adult literacy system. This group, representing government, education, non-profit and philanthropic sectors, will address regional issues with significant statewide policy and system implications, by providing top-level guidance and advocating for the funding and systemic changes necessary to achieve results.
To achieve better results, the Policy Cabinet has established three priorities:
- Make changes to better align and integrate the adult literacy system by realigning existing funding streams and creating dedicated funding to bring contextualized learning pilot programs to scale.
- Increase public awareness about the relationship between adult literacy and our economic future.
- Develop cross-sector program standards and an aligned accountability system by creating common program standards and the capacity to collect common data related to performance and outcomes.
Move UP!’s core partners provide, fund or directly support adult literacy efforts in the Greater Hartford Region. As partners, we work collaboratively to improve the delivery of adult literacy services so that more adults have access to the training and education that prepares them for the jobs that are available right here in the Hartford area.
In 2010, adult literacy providers throughout the 37-town Greater Hartford Region, finalized the Capital Region Adult Literacy Plan. This plan, approved by the CT Employment and Training Commission (CETC), is the culmination of a three-year collaborative effort among adult literacy stakeholders to identify best practices, establish and test innovative programs and make systemic changes.The Plan calls for a coordinated network of literacy services that will:
- Align provider services with student and employer needs
- Provide common assessment and referral services for all literacy providers
- Promote innovation and best practices in the delivery of literacy services
- Ensure results-based accountability from all providers
- Pursue the policy initiatives necessary to effectively address this challenge.
To guide the implementation of this plan, key stakeholders have formed the Move UP! Partnership for Adult Learning to channel the organizational, financial and political capital necessary to achieve these critical objectives. Click here to see the entire Capital Region Adult Literacy Plan.